We have been talking all month about small lifestyle changes because 2012 is our year to get in gear! Little changes make a big difference in the long run. As opposed to strict denial of everything which is ultimately going to lead to going back to your old ways. (more…)
A friend recently said she needs one week of eating healthy and working out and she will be on track. That is a great achievable goal, but it is definitely going to take more than one week. Studies show, most people are excited and dedicated to a new “healthy lifestyle” Monday to Wednesday. Then comes Thursday, getting closer to the weekend, Friday with donuts at the office and happy hour. Once the weekend hits, all healthy ideas are out the window. That “one week” is really only about 3 days and it keeps re-starting every Monday. So, in reality you need more than a week. We all know you can’t change everything at once. Little modifications which once they become habit, then onto the next modification. This week we are starting with our first modification: Eating Healthy. (more…)
Time for honesty!! I am tired! I am fried! I am exhausted! It has been a long month and extremely long past 72 hours. I am going to recover the lost 20 hours of sleep this week. So this week’s tips are a little different. (more…)
Where you spoiled and loved this past weekend? Did you dive into that box of chocolates and regret it this morning? Did your sweetie appreciate your fitness and health goals with an appropriate symbol of love? RockIt Dad handled the best of both worlds; flowers, wine, dinner and new headbands for the gym. How about you?
Now on to the tips for the week. (more…)
This dish, from Golden Door executive chef Dean Rucker, only feels indulgent.
Vegetable oil cooking spray
2 teaspoon olive oil
1 small shallot, chopped
1 cup packed fresh spinach, chopped
4 whole eggs
4 egg whites
8 sun-dried tomato halves, chopped
1/2 cup grated Asiago
2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 slices whole-wheat toast
2 cups fresh berries
Heat oven to 425°. Coat 4 small baking dishes with cooking spray. Set aside. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook shallot until soft but not brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add spinach; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
Lightly whisk eggs and egg whites in a bowl. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, basil, spinach mixture, salt and pepper. Spoon into baking dishes; bake until firm in the center, 12 to 14 minutes. Serve each with 1 slice toast and 1/2 cup berries.
Tips from RockIt Mom:
1. GREEN - Are you getting ready for a spectacular summer vacation? Asking yourself “How do I go green while traveling?” Here are some ideas to make your hotel stay a little greener, try out the following:
•Reuse your towels. If you’re staying in a hotel more than one night, hanging your towel back on the rack universally means “I’ll use it again.” That way, you’ll be conserving extra water and energy from washing an extra towel. (more…)
Tips from RockIt Mom:
1. GREEN - You want to be GREEN and help the planet, but don’t have the time? Now you do! On May 6, 2010, The SHRED-RED-FED event is being held in Carlsbad, CA. On Thursday, you can shred your papers, donate blood, recycle your electronics and donate to San Diego Women’s Resource Center. Not a local, start your own SHRED-RED-FED event. Better yet, clean out the basement, closets and garage and do your own donations, ask some neighbors to pitch in, too. This is a great way to get all of these “chores” done in one stop! (more…)
A long-standing family favorite that even toddlers enjoy. The recipe makes one, thick, 8-inch pancake, or you can make smaller ones.
• 1 cup (or more) shredded zucchini
• 1 whole egg
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• dash of salt
• 1 tablespoon sunflower or sesame seeds (for children over four)
• fruit spread or mild salsa for topping
Stir ingredients together without over-beating. Bake on a preheated griddle. Before flipping, sprinkle on sunflower or sesame seeds, if desired. Serve with fruit spread or salsa. Serves 2.
If you don’t have time for these, buy Dr. Prager’s Broccoli, Spinach or Sweet Potato pancakes which are also huge hits!! No syrup for these!
Tips from RockIt Mom:
1. GREEN – Vacation Energy Saver: Before you leave on vacation – even a weekend getaway – consider turning off your water heater until you return to save energy. Newer models will heat the water to the set temperature in about an hour upon return. Or check to see if your heater has a vacation setting.
2. HEALTH – A “marriage” or pairing of foods and moves are supported by medical testing to help your body reach it’s healing potentials. Try some of these unions.
Sidestep Skin Cancer: Caffeine + Cardio. The tests show the caffeine inhibits ATR-1, which prevents the damaged cells from becoming cancer cells. Try a cup of coffee an hour before exercise, as long was you don’t have elevated blood pressure. The caffeine should increase your endurance and delay fatigue. Try to get at least 30 min. of some type of cardio per day. (more…)