Here is your freebie this week: Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. March 4, 2010 from 4-7 pm, come in for your FREE 12 oz. Peach Fru-Tea drink, Spring Peach Tea Latte or Spring Peach Tea Latte over ice. To find your closest location click here.
Not sure how this information is getting to RockIt Mom, but we have been provided and read numerous articles lately, that the Russian Twist – ab/oblique exercise is one to boost your metabolism and build explosiveness in the upper torso. It can be done with or without weight. To begin, try it for 3 sets of 12-15 reps without weight. The next time add a 5 lbs. plate or dumbell.
PERFORMING THE RUSSIAN TWIST: Lie down on the floor with knees bent like in a “sit-up” position. The feet should be kept together and slightly above the ground or put under a stable surface. The torso should be kept straight with the back is kept off the ground at a 45 degree angle. Arms should be held together away from the body in a straight fashion and hands are kept locked together like a ball or one can hold a weight to increase the difficulty. Next, the arms should be moved from one side to another in a twisting motion, with each swing to a side counting as one repetition. The slower one moves their arms from side to side, the harder the exercise becomes and the abdomen being worked better. When moving your arms during the exercise, it is crucial to not stop in between repetitions else you will lose the effect of working the abdomen. Constant breathing in and out during the exercise is important as one should not hold his/her breath.
Weekly Tips from RockIt Mom:
1. GREEN - We find ourselves stumped with the infamous questions “Can this be recycled?”. We know the standard ones (aluminum cans, glass, paper, cardboard, magazines, newspapers, styrofoam), but what about those plastic clamshell containers? Go to Earth 911 and they will tell you all the recycling centers closest to your zip code and what you can take there.
2. HEALTH - To stay healthy, happy, and wise, come to the WOMEN ROCK! Event sponsored by RockIt Mom! There will be every type of women oriented vendor you could possibly need; a bra fitting, dinner on busy nights, a facial, massage, surf lessons, chocolate and wine! It is this Sunday, March 7, 2010 from 1-4 pm. If you aren’t local, we will have pictures and more info for you to contact the fabulous vendors. Check out the Facebook page: Women Rock, A Health & Lifestyle Event for Women to RSVP for this event. We will have amazing goody bags to the first 100 women!
3. RECIPE - To keep your metabolism up and running, here are some go to lunches and snacks that work wonders.
- Whole wheat tortilla with 1-2 tbls. of peanut/almond butter, sliced whole banana;
-Morningstar Veggiburger, whole wheat pita, 1 tbls. of hummus, shredded carrots/broccolli/cabbage;
-Lowfat Greek yogurt, fresh berries, 1-2 tbls. of Raw Aguave Nectar, sprinkle of cinnamon;
-Parmeesan cheese (3) .5 oz. pieces, drizzle each with 1 teasp. balsamic vinegar;
-Cut a cucumber into wedges, spoon out seeds, fill with cottage cheese, fresh dill, salt & peper.
Have a great week and remember you need to take at least 45 min. a day JUST FOR YOU! Hope to see you on Sunday!
CANDY APPLE SALAD
2 red apples cut in bite size pieces (not peeled)
1/2 cup of fat free sour cream
1/4 cup of Splenda brown sugar
Dash of Pumpkin Pie Spice
Optional: Dash of Salt and/or Chopped Candied Nuts
Mix It All Together and SERVE.
Weekly Tips from RockIt Mom:
1. GREEN - This week instead of a GREEN tip, we are posting this IMPERATIVE RECALL: All Generation 2 Worldwide and ChildrenE-signs drop-side cribs. Please check your cribs, your friends’ cribs, the cribs at the grandparents and send this to your friends.
2. HEALTH - To stay healthy, happy, and vital, follow the wise winter advice according to Chinese medicine:
1. Early to bed, rise when the sun is up - at least 8 hours of sleep every night.
We have two for you this week:
FIRST: FREE FLAPJACKS
On February 23, 2010 (This Tuesday) Nationally, IHOP will be giving away short stack of buttermilk pancakes on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 from 7 am – 10 pm. To find your local IHOP, go to Locations.
SECOND: FREE BURT’S BEES TOOTHPASTE
Ready to see how good it tastes and feels to have a naturally healthymouth? Sign up for a free sample of NEW Burt’s Bees® Natural
Toothpaste and celebrate the power of a natural smile!
Drive to Sandstone Canyon and walk through this spectacular wash. February 21, 2010 9 am to 2:30 pm. Plan 2 hour drive time – from downtown San Diego – to get to Yaqui Pass Junction.
Ok, time to let us know your secrets: When you just HAVE to eat something bad or fill a craving, do you healthize it? What do you do to make it not so bad? Or do you just dig in? Like nachos, needed them bad, so used multi grain chips, soy cheese and lots of veggis. What do you think?
We all want to raise confident kids. Those of us that have daughters are especially motivated to give them the confidence that they can do anything they set their mind to. By now most of you know about Lindseys gold medal in the womens downhill at the Vancouver Olympics. Watch the NY Times Magazine video to learn a little more about why Lindsey is a great role model for my daughter. (more…)